[mei-neumes-ig] Liquescent

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca
Thu Jun 21 19:54:21 CEST 2018

How does this function in other repertoires where hooks and loops are not a part of the shape?

On 21 Jun 2018, at 16:56, Kate Helsen <katehelsen at gmail.com<mailto:katehelsen at gmail.com>> wrote:

Looking at the adiastematic neumes in Hartker, I would say that liquescence is a way of rendering an <nc> that would otherwise (by "default") look a different way. I think this means it is naturally described at the attribute level.

In this type of notation I would start with liquescent forms such as: "curled" and "hoop" - to indicate that the curl has closed all the way into a sort of circle."

The placement of these liquescents is usually at the 'end' of the note (so often "ne") but sometimes they at at the "se" - it depends on the shape of the rest of the neume.

One might also want to think about direction of the "curl" - 95% of the time I'd say that it's clockwise, but there the torculus resupinus liquescent bucks the trend by going the other way...