[mei-neumes-ig] Liquescent

Kate Helsen katehelsen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 17:56:12 CEST 2018

Looking at the adiastematic neumes in Hartker, I would say that liquescence
is a way of rendering an <nc> that would otherwise (by "default") look a
different way. I think this means it is naturally described at the
*attribute* level.

In this type of notation I would start with liquescent *forms* such as:
"curled" and "hoop" - to indicate that the curl has closed all the way into
a sort of circle."

The *placement* of these liquescents is usually at the 'end' of the note
(so often "ne") but sometimes they at at the "se" - it depends on the shape
of the rest of the neume.

One might also want to think about *direction* of the "curl" - 95% of the
time I'd say that it's clockwise, but there the torculus resupinus
liquescent bucks the trend by going the other way...