[mei-neumes-ig] Question #2

Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Mon Jun 13 17:14:51 CEST 2016

XML provides 2 basic approaches to describing relationships -- order and containment.  Containment is often more intuitive for part/partOf relationships and uses nested elements, e.g.,

<car>
  <engine/>
  <door/>
  <wheel/>
</car>

Order is expressed as a list of elements, e.g.,

<eventList>
  <event n="1"/>
  <event n="2"/>
  <event n="3"/>
</eventList>

In the case of the "pes subipunctis" these might be combined like so,

<neume> <!-- this is the pes subipunctis -->
  <neume/> <!-- pes -->
  <neume/> <!-- first punctum -->
  <neume/> <!-- second punctum -->
</neume>

providing a 2-level structure that indicates in a fairly "natural" (or idiomatic XML) way that the pes subipunctis is "made up of" 3 ordered components.  Connections (which are non-structural) between the components can be indicated using one or more attributes.  I believe this alternative is better than @connection="gapped" because it doesn't mix structural and non-structural relationships.