[MEI-L] Cadenzas in MEI

Salome Obert oberts at campus.uni-paderborn.de
Mon Aug 5 11:10:57 CEST 2019

Dear community,

My name is Salome and I am working for Beethovens Werkstatt. In the project
we are currently encoding Beethoven’s Septett op. 20 (respectively Trio op.
38). In the sixth movement *Andante con moto alla Marcia* is a Cadenza
which is written in one measure. Thus the Cadenza-measure does not have a
meter. Our question is: How can we deal with this free meter? From our
point of view the attribute @metcon within the measure-tag which is usually
used for measures whose meter differs from the previous one is not
semantically correct because the Cadenza does not belong to a metrical
system at all. We would prefer a new attribute within the measure-tag with
boolean values which would be a clear identifier for a Cadenza and for its
free meter: <measure n=”1” cadenza=”true”>…</measure>

What do you think about this proposal and about dealing with Cadenzas in
MEI in general? We would be very happy discuss about this question with the
MEI-community, so please share your thoughts.

Best Greetings,

Salome Obert