[MEI-L] Encoding Notre Dame Polyphonic Neumes

Joshua Stutter josh at yokermusic.scot
Fri Mar 22 15:13:09 CET 2019

Karen,

> I don’t think using the neume names is appropriate for this repertory
> as the theorists didn’t use these.
You're right here, I've already dispensed with them.

> The alignment is a more complex issue. Ideally you would probably want
> to number the perfections and then you would simply tag your tenor
> notes as occurring within a certain perfection.
I've already /kind of/ solved the alignment issue by using <section> as
an alignment group. I'm against tagging in a particular perfection as
that is implying that the music proceeds in a constant modal rhythm and
has length, which may not be exactly correct. All I'm attempting to do
is to align the notes together that occur at the same time and leave the
rhythm up to a further editor or a performer's interpretation,
especially with this two-part music which may be completely without
formal rhythm.

However, I'm still no closer to even beginning to customise the ODD to
fit my needs, there's some sort of SVG error which I do not understand.
Either going through Roma or cloning the MEI github and attempting to
build directly gives me this error (see my message 16th of this month)
and the MEI customization page is still broken.

Joshua.