[MEI-L] Slurs/ties across repetitions and/or endings

Craig Sapp craigsapp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 10:06:54 CET 2019

The notation in measure 18 and 19 in the third system (given as a PDF
attachment in case inline images are removed):

[image: Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 3.39.41 AM.png]
Is shorthand for:
[image: Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 3.39.46 AM.png]

MEI's primary focus is on the visual aspect of the notation.  So the
slur/tie in the second repeat should have a @startid attaching to the
barline at the beginning of the second repeat (or a @tstamp of 0, also
representing the barline at the start of the measure).

When the semantics of the situation is in conflict with the visual grammar
(as in this case where the slur/tie start on a barline), then there should
be a parallel gestural parameter to clarify the performance meaning (i.e.,
"semantics") of the element.  So in these cases, the slur/tie starting on
the barline in the second repeat should contain an additional gestural
attribute called @startid.ges.  This is a parallel situation to note at accid
& note at accid.ges, note at dur & note at dur.ges, as well as note at dots &
note at dots.ges.

@startid.ges does not yet exist:
     https://music-encoding.org/guidelines/v4/elements/slur.html
     https://music-encoding.org/guidelines/v4/elements/tie.html
So it will first need to be added to the MEI schema before it can be used.
For notation rendering, @startid would be used, but for performance
rendering (i.e., converting to a MIDI file), @startid.ges would be used.

This sort of encoding would also apply to the other situations on the page
that you mention (where @endid.ges will also be required).

-=+Craig