[MEI-L] New releases: Sibmei 2.1.0; new MEI test set

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca
Sun Feb 19 16:36:20 CET 2017

Hello MEI Community,

Two new releases to bring to your attention:

1. A new update to the Sibelius to MEI plugin is now available, version 2.1.0. I want to thank Thomas Weber for his extensive contributions in this release -- he expanded support for complex things like nested tuplets and secondary beams, and fixed some very tricky bugs! You can download the plugin and read the release notes here:

https://github.com/music-encoding/sibmei/releases/tag/v2.1.0 <https://github.com/music-encoding/sibmei/releases/tag/v2.1.0>

2. Over the last few years we've been assembling an MEI Test Set, with contributions from our team at McGill, Zoltán Kőmíves, and the official MEI 'sample encodings'. It's not been a secret, per se, but I don't think it was ever officially announced on this mailing list. I've just spent a bit of time polishing it up, and you can view it here:

http://ddmal.github.io/mei-test-set/ <http://ddmal.github.io/mei-test-set/>

And the source for it is available here:

https://github.com/DDMAL/mei-test-set <https://github.com/DDMAL/mei-test-set>

The "MEI-test-set" section contains the bulk of the individual test cases.

So how is this different from the sample encodings? This test set is explicitly designed to test basic functionality and edge cases in software applications. Many of the MEI files contain just enough encoding to demonstrate a particular feature or encoding that should be supported.

As a result, it's not very pretty. In fact, the MEI-test-set folder is the closet where the Sibelius-to-MEI plugin (and Verovio) hides all its skeletons! Looking at the test cases you can see a good portion of what is, and what isn't, supported yet. You should also be aware that if you see something rendered on the page, it may be that Verovio is rendering it properly and that it just wasn't exported correctly in the sibmei plugin (most likely!) or vice versa.

We haven't covered everything, so if you have test cases you would like to see included in this, please let me know. The only restriction is that we would like to keep licensing non-restrictive, so including an encoding in the test set means you will have to also agree to release it under a Creative-Commons Attribution (CC-BY) license.

As always, please get in touch with questions or comments.

Cheers,
-Andrew