[MEI-L] Problem: Encoding omissions: slur positions

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 14 00:44:52 CET 2017

Just a general comment on Johannes's slur example: We've encoded a great deal of Handel in MuseData (long before MEI came along) and in the manuscripts there are often slurs of ambiguous length.  In the scholarly world, a lot of ink has been devoted to the subject of how to interpret Handel's slurs (as well as his dotted rhythmic figures and divisi parts that begin abruptly in the absence of a preceding composite part, e.g. violin and oboe).  Handel is almost a special case for encoding, because most of these problems are rarely found in the manuscripts of his peers.

If you belong to the "no interpretation in encoding" school, then you do want some indication of the fuzziness of the source.  This leads to the question of whether it is advisable to indicate in a header whether the following data should be understood as "uninterpreted" (virtual facsimile of the source).  This can be good for efficiency but not conducive to avoiding dependencies.

In this discussion, lots of workable solutions have been proposed.  The question is: Which ones will work across many different circumstances?  Which ones are "local" to one repertory?  And how do we prioritize efficiency in relation to exactness?

CMME (http://cmme.org/) deals with some of these kinds of questions--with more focus on mutable graphics--for mensural music (no slurs of course) and, like MEI, remains a work-in-progress.

Eleanor