[MEI-L] list-related changes

Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Tue Nov 10 00:15:42 CET 2015

MEI doesn’t mix declarative and procedural markup any more than TEI, does it?  A reasonable mix is necessary for a general-use markup scheme.  Furthermore, I don’t agree that what I’m proposing is procedural markup.  Saying that an item in a list has a bullet or is marked with a Roman numeral isn’t procedural in nature, it’s descriptive.  It’s just as descriptive as using <title>War and Peace</title> to indicate that the content is a title and not a person’s name, just in a different way.

I agree that you might not want to use this kind of thing for MEI that describes born-digital material (where the author controls the rendition), but it’s essential for describing already-existing material, especially if it is non-standard in some way, for example if it contains a printing error that caused an item in an otherwise-numbered list to be labelled with an “A”.  How could one possibly *describe* this situation without saying anything about the bullets?  Putting this kind of information in a CSS file is just moving the problem.  The markup no longer contains any information about the bullets, but the CSS does and without it (the CSS) the MEI doesn’t effectively *describe* its source so the two have to be interpreted together.  There’s a false sense of having separated the content and presentation in this case.