[MEI-L] Beat in 6/8

Benjamin Wolff Bohl bohl at edirom.de
Thu Aug 27 10:19:57 CEST 2015

Hi all,

many thanks for bringing up this interesting discussion, I was not aware
that the definition of "beats" was so uncertain throughout music
history! Nevertheless I think that in MEI the definition of beat is very
clear.

If we consider http://music-encoding.org/documentation/2.1.1/cmn/ and
the description of the following scoreDef attributes (4.1.2 Defining
Score Parameters for CMN):

> meter.count 	captures the number of beats in a measure, that is, the
> top number of the meter signature. It must contain a decimal number or
> an additive expression that evaluates to a decimal number, such as 2+3.
> meter.unit 	contains the number indicating the beat unit, that is, the
> bottom number of the meter signature.

and further the description of timestamps (4.1.5 Timestamps and Durations):

> Thetimestamp(tstamp) of a musical event is calculated in relation to
> the meter of the current measure and resembles the so-called ‘beat’.
> In a common time measure with four quarter notes, the timestamp of
> each quarter equals its beat position in the measure: The first
> quarter has a timestamp of 1, the second has a timestamp of 2, and so on.

If we then consider 4.2.9 Repetition in CMN the descrition of beatRpt
might be a bit confusing, as the only definition of the "logical domain"
implication is the first sentence:

> ThebeatRpt
> <http://music-encoding.org/documentation/2.1.1/beatRpt>element is used
> to represent a single repeated beat.

All the rest of the paragraph deals with "visual domain" aspects
exclusively:

> Its visual rendition can be recorded using therendattribute. This
> attribute indicates the number of slashes required to render the
> appropriate repeat symbol, which, as demonstrated in the preceding
> figure, depends on the rhythmic content of the beat being repeated.
> When a beat that consists of a single note or chord is repeated, the
> repetition sign is typically rendered as a single thick, slanting
> slash; therefore, the value '1' should be used. The following values
> should be used when the beat is divided into even notes: 4ths or
> 8ths=1, 16ths=2, 32nds=3, 64ths=4, 128ths=5. When the beat is
> comprised of mixed duration values, the symbol is always rendered as 2
> slashes and 2 dots.

So to summarize:
A beatRpt always repeats a timespan with a duration according to the
"locally valid" scoreDef/@meter.unit.

At least that's how I understand it, an how we used it in Freischütz
Digital ;-)

Cheers,
Benjamin

Musikwissenschaftliches Seminar Detmold/Paderborn
BMBF-Projekt "Freischütz Digital"
Benjamin Wolff Bohl
Gartenstraße 20
D–32756 Detmold