[MEI-L] slur and @curvedir

Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Sun Feb 1 18:04:15 CET 2015

Laurent is correct, the values in the example should be -2 and 1.

The place attribute is for describing the placement of an entity in general terms.  For phrase marks and slurs, it also generically describes the curvature of the mark, and therefore functions as short hand for a more detailed description given by the bulge or bezier attributes. It would be possible to add a value to @place for slurs/phrases with multiple inflection points, such as "mixed" or perhaps "complex", but this would only fulfill a classification purpose -- it wouldn't provide any information regarding how to draw the slur/phrase.  So, one would still need to use @bulge or @bezier for rendering.

Another complicating factor is that @place is used by a number of elements other than slur and phrase.  Adding "mixed" directly to @place would introduce the possibility of nonsense in the case of, say, <accid> or <breath>.  Of course, a specialized form of @place for slur/phrase is a possibility, but would need careful handling.

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175