[MEI-L] slur and @curvedir

Kőmíves Zoltán zolaemil at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 07:08:28 CET 2015

Hi Perry,

I think extending the data type of @curvedir attribute could be justified
simply base on the argument of classification: @curvdir provides a
classification mechanism, but this classification is rather incomplete, the
current values of @curvedir do not cover all the cases that are out there
(see Benni's example: nor "above" neither "below" is appropriate, and the
omission of the attribute surely cannot imply what we want to convey, that
is the curve goes also above and below). This has nothing to do with
rendering, since in order to render a slur or phrase mark, the actual curve
needs to be calculated anyway, even when "above" or "below" is applied.

Out of Benni's suggestions I quite like "above-below" / "below-above".
(Note that his question concerns @curvedir not @place.) In fact, it occurs
to me, we could even allow an alternating sequence of the values "below"
and "above". Benni's example would be encoded as <slur curvedir="above
below"/>. This, beside conveying the fact that the curve goes first below,
then above, could also be applied to curves with multiple inflection
points. I have no literary example for this at hand, but wouldn't be
surprised if there was some in existence.

Best
Zoltan