[MEI-L] "Cancelling" key signatures

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 5 01:09:32 CEST 2014

Hi, All,

I think the convention of signaling or  reiterating cancelled accidentals
varies quite a bit with publisher and period.   We have certainly
encountered them quite a bit.  My non-scientific impression is that that
they steadily increase over time into recent decades.  That is, as
harmonies become more distance, forewarning and redundancy become more
desirable.

There are at least two common models: (1) cancel, or introduce,
accidentals just before a light double bar and/or at the end of a system
as a cue to the performer, or (2) simply change them at the start of the
relevant passage, especially if it is coincident with a meter change.

Definitely a challenge to standardization!

Eleanor

Eleanor Selfridge-Field
Consulting Professor, Music (and, by courtesy, Symbolic Systems)
Braun Music Center #129
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-3076, USA
http://web.stanford.edu/~esfield/  +1/ 650 725-9242