[MEI-L] "Cancelling" key signatures

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Fri Sep 5 02:55:09 CEST 2014

I agree the convention of showing cancelled _key signature_ accidentals
where it's not strictly necessary varies quite a bit, but, Eleanor, I
suspect you're thinking of accidentals on _notes_, which composers and
publishers have treated very differently. I just checked a bunch of
examples in the Norton Scores, Third Edition Expanded, vol. 2. The
following, listed roughly in chronological order, contain key signature
changes that require one or the other usage:

Trout Quintet (1819; publisher not listed)
Tristan und Isolde, Liebesnacht (Schirmer)
Violetta's scene from La Traviata (Schirmer)
Verdi Requiem (Schirmer)
Boris Godunov (publisher not listed)
Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun (1894; publisher not listed)
La Boheme (1896; Schirmer)

La Boheme shows only the new key signature; all of the others cancel
the old as well as showing the new.

Elaine Gould's book _Behind Bars_ says (pp. 92-93) traditional practice
is to cancel the old key signature (of course only when going to fewer
sharps/flats or changing from one to the other), but contemporary
practice is to show only the new key signature unless the change is to
zero sharps/flats. The exx in the Norton Scores are consistent with
that rule, and I'm pretty sure it's what I've observed in the past.

I highly recommend _Behind Bars_ for information about notation
conventions for both current practice and practice of the
not-too-distant past.

--Don