[MEI-L] Introduction and engraving/typesetting considerations

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca
Thu Jul 3 19:31:38 CEST 2014

Hi Urs,

Thanks for writing! It’s great to have others thinking about these issues.

I appreciate someone bringing up the idea of versioned editions. I think that this is one of the biggest advantages of digital editions. I’m wondering if you’ve seen an article by Franz Wiering, Tim Crawford, and David Lewis that talks about this. They stop short of specifying specific tools like Git, but the “multidimensional” model they propose is in line with this type of editorial vision. You can access a version of the article here: http://methodsnetwork.ac.uk/redist/pdf/wiering.pdf

One of the biggest advantages of the digital edition is its focus on flexibility of representation, where we can have multiple “views” into a piece to see it in various states of representation, development, and revision. MEI, as an encoding format, supports this but we haven’t yet quite figured out how to render it in a digital edition — although there are several promising prototypes.

In some ways the focus on the encoding seems counter-intuitive from a musician’s standpoint, since we always start from the visual notation and work backwards to infer the structure, but from a data modelling perspective it make sense to define the encoding and then work forwards to how it gets represented. Having a well-defined encoding allows us to provide multiple views into the data that may, or may not, include the visual representation of the data. For example, in my own work we “render” notation representations to a search engine and analysis system, which bypasses the need for visual representation altogether.

While I agree, in principle, that we should focus our efforts on not re-inventing the wheel, I think there are several realities that we must take into account when imagining the digital edition in the future. The first reality is that the web is *the* platform for delivery. While that pretty much goes without saying, we need to take into account what this means for our development efforts, and the efforts required of our users to get their digital edition up and running with minimal fuss.

While Lilypond produces gorgeous output, its potential for use in a web environment is somewhat restricted since it requires a server-side component. This would involve some translation layer between the Lilypond system and how users interact with it in their browser. In my experience, this server layer adds a significant amount of complexity to the whole system, not the least of which is that if an organization wishes to deploy this system, it needs to support an entire stack of software on their own servers, which can be Windows, Mac, or Linux of any various flavour. That adds quite a bit of overhead to anyone wanting to just publish their digital edition “online.”

I think there is a lot of room in the MEI ecosystem for a MEI to Lilypond translation layer, since traditional models of engraving aren’t going away any time soon. In fact, in a dream world we would have MEI import/export to all major notation and engraving systems. But I also think that if we are to try and envision a new approach to creating digital editions then there’s a lot of room to explore new engraving systems that operate in the browser, rather than requiring a server-executed binary. I know JavaScript has always been a bit of a pariah, but it has made great strides in the last few years and it’s showing no signs of slowing down. A JavaScript-based engraving system has the advantage of running on Windows, Mac, Linux, iPod, iPad, iPhone, and Android, without needing any platform-specific code. It also has the advantage of integrating relatively easily with other interesting tools, like audio playback, text representation, and image representation, without needing to “bootstrap” an environment for those.

As for your quality statement, I wholeheartedly agree. Professional digital typesetting is a tricky thing to get right.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.

-Andrew