[MEI-L] Introduction and engraving/typesetting considerations

Adrian Holovaty adrian at holovaty.com
Thu Jul 3 21:20:26 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Andrew Hankinson <
andrew.hankinson at mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> I know JavaScript has always been a bit of a pariah, but it has made great
> strides in the last few years and it’s showing no signs of slowing down. A
> JavaScript-based engraving system has the advantage of running on Windows,
> Mac, Linux, iPod, iPad, iPhone, and Android, without needing any
> platform-specific code. It also has the advantage of integrating relatively
> easily with other interesting tools, like audio playback, text
> representation, and image representation, without needing to “bootstrap” an
> environment for those.

And that's my cue to point out Soundslice, my JavaScript notation-rendering
engine that is in the early stages of being able to render MEI. :-)

http://www.soundslice.com/

It's not open-source (I'm trying to make a living off of it), but I'd
certainly provide it for free for non-profit / academic uses.

Adrian