[MEI-L] future MEI Board

Benjamin Wolff Bohl bohl at edirom.de
Thu Jun 12 17:16:16 CEST 2014

Dear MEI-L::isteners,
the current proposal or MEI Community Organization isn't exactly clear
about how many members the future Board will have. This is due to the
fact that the discussion in Charlottesville wasn't totally explicit
about it.
At the moment there are three main issues that I would like to forward
to the community:

1) odd or even
In general do you prefer an odd or even number of voting board members?

2) Host Institution representative
In addition to any number of Board members elected from and by the
community, the proposal grants a seat to one member of every host
institution, designated by the respective institution. At the moment the
Academy will be the only Host Institution (Please be aware that this is
not about Institutional Membership and an institution can only have this
role in MEI on individual agreements with the Board).
The question connected to this is whether this designated member of the
Board should have equal rights concerning any decision making process of
the board, e.g. the right to vote in such decisions or have advisory
role only?

3) Number of elected Board members & terms
How many elected members should the Board have, and how long should
their terms be?
In general we decided on staggered/overlapping terms in order to have a
number of Board members be elected every year. The two proposed models are:
a) 9 elected members serving for three years each, 3 members will be
elected each year
b) 6 elected members serving either for 2 or 3 years each, resulting in
3 or 2 members being elected each year

I'd be very happy to hear community opinions on this!

Best wishes,
Benjamin

Musikwissenschaftliches Seminar Detmold/Paderborn
BMBF-Projekt "Freischütz Digital"
Benjamin Wolff Bohl
Gartenstraße 20
D–32756 Detmold