[MEI-L] Proposals MEI Strategy Development Group

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 10 23:17:27 CEST 2014

One thing that can be tricky about institutional memberships at various
levels in the US is that schools within an institution have budgets that
are set independently.  Here at Stanford the Medical, Law, and Business
Schools are heavily endowed, but the School of Humanities and Sciences
(might be Arts and Sciences elsewhere) has very little loose change in its
budget.  For MEI this is not a matter to be concerned with for now, but
when MusicXML was first associated with WWW3, there was no way to comment
on official proposals without an institutional affiliation (minimum
subscription: $10,000).

Stanford as a university did not have a membership.  MEI should for now
look to music libraries and possibly to other academic organizations for
memberships. Usually in the US institutional membership provides an
institution with a journal that is published three or four times a year,
an online forum, and other benefits. The typical institutional membership
rate is 20%-30% higher than the individual rate.

Eleanor

Eleanor Selfridge-Field
Consulting Professor, Music (and, by courtesy, Symbolic Systems)
Braun Music Center #129
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-3076, USA
http://www.stanford.edu/~esfield/  +1/ 650 725-9242