[MEI-L] Proposals MEI Strategy Development Group

Joachim Veit veit at weber-gesamtausgabe.de
Thu Apr 10 22:25:19 CEST 2014

Dear Benjamin,
thanks a lot for summing up part of the discussion!
Without voting for A or B at the moment, only a few remarks concerning
Institutional membership interspersed in your text:
Hoping that the discussion continues,
Joachim

Am 10.04.14 12:40, schrieb Benjamin Wolff Bohl:
> Dear all,
> thanks for starting discussion on the proposals!
>
> For some short replies and digest of the comments in the googleDoc:
>
> The Guidelines definitely are the most important product of MEI,
> together with the schema. An it sounds wise not to overload the
> production of these documents with organizational / bureaucratic
> matters. I think this is something everybody should keep in mind ;-)
>
> Institutional Membership seems to have a lot of potential discussion.
> her e are some questions to help us get clear what MEI wants:
> - 1) A general question that could be raised in this context is
> whether the idea of Institutional Membership should be an issue not
> tied to a specific model but of general interest for MEI and thus any
> future model of its organization?
>
> - 2) Designating three levels of Institutional Membership with
> respective increase of fees should result in more than just a label.
> This only motivates to support with the lowest membership and even if
> wanted it might get hard to argue to spend more money if it doesn't
> bring more benefits.
>
> - 3) Should Institutional Members (of any level or just highest level)
> have a seat in the Board? Should these be allowed the right to vote or not
> I think the danger you describe in the following point 4 is an
> important argument against seats in the Board. The system of buying
> votes or seats is extremely un-democratic. We should accept that an
> Institutional Member has one vote as each individual member and try to
> find other means of "award" for such fine institutions who are willing
> to promote the MEI community. So I very much sympathize with your
> proposal under 5) (which is the "TEI" one).
We should also avoid - if there will be an individual fee on the long
term - that institutions spending, e.g., 500 $ see this as paying for
their 200 individual members. That's no problem at the moment at all -
but perspectively. So I plea for treating individual and institutional
members alike - at least concerning their rights to vote or being elected.
> - 4) If institutional Memberships allow for a voting seat in the
> Board, how avoid the risk of buying control over MEI?
>
> - 5) Why not tie the fees for Institutional Membership to the size of
> the institution an d their annual budget?
>

>> Model C, while innovative, feels like it's imposing a structure to
>> interest groups that should just happen naturally. I see this as
>> being ultimately counterproductive, partly because it's kind of
>> predictable that one or two groups will always have the bigger cut,
>> simply because of what MEI offers.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean with "such things". The general statements
> concerning Interest Groups impose the structure to them. The idea of
> Model C in this context is that in contrary to having exclusively
> Board members form the groups with the "bigger cut" it allows smaller
> groups to participate in the Board, not least because the ratios for
> sending group members to the Board is in favour of smaller groups.
Imagine we have 15 interest groups (whow, fine!!....) - all should send
a member in the Board? How should such a big board operate?