[MEI-L] history of sources / items

Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Thu Apr 3 15:21:05 CEST 2014

Hi Axel,

You're right -- it's not that <history> was actively dropped, it was never included in the first place.  I'm not averse to adding it, but I'd like to hear a good argument for doing it first.  Can you give me an example of what's not possible now that adding <history> would fix?

Perhaps it was a bad choice of name, but <physLoc> wasn't intended to be a summary of all the physical locations that an item has/had during its lifespan.  That's what <provenance> is for.  <physLoc> is only for an item's *current* location; that is, its holding institution and shelf mark.  I think it's important to separate the two (as they frequently are in library practice).  And, as you observe, munging them together now would cause compatibility problems.  So, I don't see a good reason to open that can of worms.

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175