[MEI-L] history of sources / items

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 3 02:50:17 CEST 2014

"Provenance" is a standard item in catalogues of works in manuscript, but
it has a range of meanings, all of which might comfortable fit within
"history".  It sometimes identifies previously owners but equally often it
refers to a physical location (city, institution, performing group et
al.).

Eleanor

Eleanor Selfridge-Field
Consulting Professor, Music (and, by courtesy, Symbolic Systems)
Braun Music Center #129
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-3076, USA
http://www.stanford.edu/~esfield/  +1/ 650 725-9242