[MEI-L] Interpreting @tstamp2

Kőmíves Zoltán zolaemil at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 10:56:34 CEST 2013

Hi All,

I'm looking for confirmation that my thinking is right about interpreting
@tstamp2 values (e.g. 2m+2) when the time signature changes between the
location of the element indicating @tstamp and the 2nd next measure.

According to the guidelines '*the timestamp (@tstamp) of a musical event is
calculated in relation to the meter of the *current* measure and resembles
the so-called ‘beat’.*' About @tstamp: '*[@tstamp2] is expressed using the
same logic as described above*'. (see
http://music-encoding.org/documentation/guidelines2013/cmn#cmnTstamp )

I haven't found any explicit statement how to understand *current* measure
in case of @tstamp2. Strictly speaking, *current* measure is the measure
where the element with the @tstamp2 is located. However intuitively, all
encountered measures should be considered with their effective time
signature, therefore if there are three measures, the first in 2/4, the
second in 5/8 and the third is 2/4, then 2m+1 should indicate the first
quarter note in the last measure (as opposed to the 5th eights note in the
second measure).

Thank you
Zoltan Komives