[MEI-L] Lyrics: Extender lines

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Tue Jul 2 16:54:50 CEST 2013

I have to apologize for my recent misleading, nay, incorrect statements.  Sometimes I forget the details of MEI myself.  I'm sorry for not researching my answer to Micah's question before firing up the email machine.

It plainly says in the description of the value "u" for @con that it is for "syllable extension", not syllabification like I stated earlier.  So-called "extenders" should be drawn based on this value.  Syllabification may therefore be indicated by either "d" (dash) or "u".

There's actually no need for @extender on <syl>, so it's omission is not an error.

How's this as a revision to the Guidelines? --

"Occasionally, a word or syllable needs to be extended across multiple notes. In this case, a so-called ‘extender’ (a continuous line drawn at the text's baseline from the end of the syllable or word associated with the first note until the last note to be sung with the syllable or word) may be rendered based on the presence of the @con attribute with a value of ‘u’."

Clearer?

Mea culpa,

Perry Roland
Music Library