[MEI-L] graceful beams

Craig Sapp craigsapp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 17:18:23 CEST 2013

Hi Majohannes & JoMaja,

I had Perry encode a similar example on page 3 of:

http://wiki.ccarh.org/mediawiki/images/c/cb/30_short_mei_encoding_examples.pdf

[image: Inline image 2]

which was done
    <beam>
        <grace note 1>
        <grace note 2>
    </beam>
   <beam>
      <note 1>
     <note 2>
     <beam>
         <grace note 3>
         <grace note 4>
     </beam>
    <note 3>
</beam>

Grace notes should never be beamed with regular notes so the second
graphical example you gave would be an incorrect rendering of this data.
 The beat span should not be necessary in this case.  Programmatically it
takes work to determine if a beam is regular or grace: you must look inside
the beam to see if the first note is regular or grace.  With a beam span,
to determine if it is regular or grace type, you would have to look at the
next note which follows it.

Also here is the other example on the above link (page 3) with a similar
case:

[image: Inline image 3]

which is encoded as:

<beam>
   <note 1>
   <grace note 1>
   <note 2>
   <grace note 2>
   <note 3>
   <note 4>
</beam>

Note that the grace notes are not attached to the beam of the regular notes
even though they are not in grace-note beams.

The only two cases that I can think of for beam spanning would be across
barlines and in some sort of string notation to alternate playing on two
different strings:

[image: Inline image 4]

-=+Craig