[MEI-L] graceful beams

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Sun Apr 14 00:23:39 CEST 2013

An interesting discussion! Thomas commented on "the very rare or even
non-existing case of grace-notes that are under the same beam with
normal notes". Perry and Craig both responded that grace notes should
never be beamed with regular notes, but I disagree; "very rare" is
correct. There are two issues here.

(1) What's the definition of _grace note_? Of course, grace notes are
normally small notes with a logical (metric) duration of zero; but both
the third and 4th editions of the Harvard Dictionary of Music say large
groups of grace notes _can_ take a duration (of a single note), for
example in Chopin. And I've seen several examples of full-size and
small notes with logical duration beamed together.

(2) But even with the strict zero-duration definition, there _are_
cases where (IMHO) it's clearly proper to beam grace notes and regular
notes. Here's the evidence.

First, I know of published examples in Chopin (Nocturne, Op. 15 no. 2,
mm. 8 & 9); Debussy (Preludes, Book 1: La Puerta del Vino and La
Terrasse Des Audiences Du Clair De Lune); and Ives ("Lincoln, the Great
Commoner", no. 11 in 114 Songs). The Chopin is attached (see the last
two measures). As you see, in each measure, there's an ordinary
notehead with a stem and beam to an ordinary note, and a stem and beam
to one or more zero-duration grace notes.

Also, Elaine Gould's _Behind Bars: The Definitive Guide to Music
Notation_ says (p. 129) of grace notes "If accents are not appropriate,
differentiate notes to be sounded on the beat either by writing them in
rhythm or, alternatively, by joining them to a measured note." For the
latter case, she gives an example essentially identical to the Chopin
Nocturne example.

And finally, in cases like this, it makes sense!

FWIW, considering both the graphical and the logical aspects,
Nightingale distinguishes three types of notes:
* normal notes: notes with nonzero logical duration for the part they
appear in, either full-size or small
* grace notes: small notes with zero logical duration
* cue notes: small notes with nonzero logical duration for a different part

--Don

--
Donald Byrd
Woodrow Wilson Indiana Teaching Fellow