[MEI-L] Connection/relation of multiple parts

Daniel Röwenstrunk roewenstrunk at edirom.de
Tue Oct 30 09:59:49 CET 2012

Hi,

from my point of view the header should be some kind of *meta* data to the data itself. In my understanding this means that the data (inside body) should be self-consistent, even if the header is missing. I thought that is way we have staffDef and scoreDef for example inside the data part of MEI.

I agree with Raffaele that <perfMedium> doesn't seem to be the right place. At least if you think from a document centric perspective and I would argue that having parts in an MEI encoding is most of the time because of a document centric approach (and I'm pretty sure some of you find examples against this argumentation ;-) ).

The idea of using @sameas (which is possible on <part>) doesn't convince me, either. The two Violin 1 <part> elements are not the same, the second is the continuation of the first, right? So maybe using @next and @prev are a better choice here. Comments on that?

Cheers, Daniel