[MEI-L] symbol/symbolDef

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Mon Mar 19 13:53:48 CET 2012

Am 19.03.2012 um 13:34 schrieb Roland, Perry (pdr4h):

> Hi, Johannes,
>
>> maybe we discovered another spot in MEI where including SVG might be helpful…?
>
> Placing SVG inside <symbolDef> is fine with me.  But we need to investigate exactly how this might work, particularly with regard to "invoking" the SVG with symbol/@ref.  Also, should we *add SVG* or *replace the primitives with SVG*?  I admit I don't know enough about SVG to make good arguments either way.
>
> This is somewhat related to the issue of TEI in MEI.  Or *any other XML* in MEI.  Honestly, it makes my head spin.
>
> Will you create an issue in the tracker please?

will do.

regarding the replacement of MEI primitives, I'd vote against for consistency's sake. The best way to include SVG seems to make it model.graphicLike, as it happens in TEI+SVG. I've done this mod for Edirom, and it works as expected. Basically, it allows SVG inside a surface (among other spots). Doing this, we surely don't want to loose mei:zone. If we allow mei:zone and svg:* within surface, why should we disallow lines and such in symbols?

jo