[MEI-L] symbol/symbolDef

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Mon Mar 19 13:55:46 CET 2012

Thomas,

> I see, so the module is meant for rendering purposes only.  Then
> <symbol> inside <symbolDef> is intended for "composite" symbols,
> right?  <curve> and <line> elements would obviously describe the
> strokes to create a symbol.  I think I can make up some examples for
> the guidelines.  But for defining decent symbols, <curve> and <line>
> seem pretty crude to me, especially because they can only describe
> lines and not filled areas.

Yes, the module is meant for rendering. And, yes, <symbol> inside <symbolDef> is for composite symbols.

My intent was to provide basic MEI functionality *in the absence of* a special-purpose drawing language.  So, I would lean toward augmenting the MEI line, curve, and text graphic primitives (perhaps by adding an element for filled areas/paths) rather than replacing them.

However, it may be more advantageous to replace the content of <symbolDef> with SVG or define <symbolDef> as a placeholder whose content must be declared before it can be used.  The latter would permit the use of any drawing language (SVG, PostScript, etc.), but would have a detrimental effect on interoperability.

I'd like to hear from the "rendering team" (Laurent, Craig, Thomas) whether SVG is so widely-used and widely-accepted that we should import its elements here exclusively.  How important is it to allow other "markup", such as PostScript or other existing schemes?

Perry Roland
Music Library
University of Virginia
P. O. Box 400175