[MEI-L] symbol/symbolDef

TW zupftom at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 16 08:54:15 CET 2012

I'd like to ask for your opinion on some aspects of the usersymbols
module as I'm in charge of its guidelines.

I'm not particularly clear how the relationship between <symbolDef>
and <symbol> is meant to work.  <symbolDef> mustn't be an empty
element, so I might want to put a <symbol> element inside that might
have a @facs attribute to point to a graphical example representation
of the symbol.  But this <symbol> element is required to have a @ref
attribute which must be "a reference to a previously-declared
user-defined symbol".  The dog seems to chase its tail, right?

One use case I see for <symbol> is if we have a scribe who uses some
unusual symbols that might possibly not be fully understood.  Then I
might want to give some textual information about what meaning my
research has suggested or what use pattern can be recognized.  Would I
do this with an <annot>, pointing to <symbolDef> by means of @plist?

Thanks for your help!
Thomas Weber