[MEI-L] Events inside events

Laurent Pugin laurent at music.mcgill.ca
Thu Mar 15 12:10:18 CET 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Roland, Perry (pdr4h) <
pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu> wrote:

>  Laurent,
>

> Yep, the first "option" (which really isn't an option now) has several
> problems.

> *and* following all events, not only means each of these elements could
> occur in multiple places, but more importantly that they will have slightly
> different semantics depending on the context of their occurrence.
>

> Maybe this isn't so bad for turns because they always apply to single
> notes, but 2 different ways of encoding trills ("single note" vs. "wavy
> line" or "instaneous" vs. "continuing") seems to me to be asking for
> trouble.  Or so I'm always told by my developer friends.  :-)

I see your point. I know developers who will say that not having to deal
with timestamps is easier, so they would be ready in that case to deal with
2 different ways of encoding. But these are lazy developers...

My other objection to allowing <turn> inside <note> is that it opens the