[MEI-L] trills within beams

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 6 00:03:29 CET 2012

Hi, Kristina, Perry, et al.

>From my perspective Kristina is prompting a really important question, and
one  response ("more than one pass....") seems to be the inevitable place
where all encoders end up when confronted with real music. It may be
unavoidable, but it is not ideal.

What is unsettling  in the responses is that we are putting hierarchy
above music and the needs of encoders.

When working with MSS, there are dozens of potential distractions, and
making a second pass to capture left-over details requires finding the
exact spot on the folio, checking to see which features were encoded on
the first pass, and, over time, a lot of secondary bookkeeping about what
is finished and what has yet to be done. (I know; I did that kind of
housework for my Marcello catalogue in the 1980s---3000 bitty music files,
each one in need of its own particular notes.)  The  risks of eventual
inaccuracy, incomplete information, and duplication are very real.

Granted we want MEI to work, but if it is optimized for programming
efficiency at the cost of usability, we may need to step back and look for
other solutions. The low level of generalizability of music features
across repertories is widely acknowledged, and we are simply encountering
one instance here. For another example from the same category, consider
this CPE Bach incipit:

We used it in our "desk-top publishing IEEE tutorial of 1994. [For all the
examples go to http://www.ccarh.org/publications/reprints/ieee/ --Category
2, Type 1]

How would MEI handle it?

Eleanor