[MEI-L] Encoding staff positions

Raffaele Viglianti raffaeleviglianti at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 22:22:57 CET 2011

Dear all,

The genetic encoding group within the Manuscript SIG of the TEI faced
similar issues. They came up with a new TEI module that takes a documentary
approach before a semantic one. It suggests to use the element ge:document
as an alternative to tei:text, the element that contains the semantic
tagging. They extend the model of tei:zone and introduce new elements like
ge:page (a non-empty element) and ge:line (non-empty), which simply marks a
line of text, regardless of its orientation. Attribute like @rotate and the
integration of SVG allow for the encoding of complex manuscript material.
Here is their current proposal:
http://www.tei-c.org/SIG/Manuscripts/genetic.html

<http://www.tei-c.org/SIG/Manuscripts/genetic.html>I think MEI could be
looking at using some of the concepts introduced here and possibly include
some of this TEI elements (possibly with their namespace) into a
document-oriented customization. Something like ge:line might not make sense
for MEI, though it might be used to model a mei:system.

Having a look at the work done by this group might shed some light on some
of the topics of this discussion.

Best wishes,
Raffaele