[MEI-L] Encoding staff positions

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Mon Feb 7 21:52:50 CET 2011

Perry,

> - <zone> has no type attribute, but it already has @n, which can be used for the same effect.

I think a @type is something different than @n. Using @n as replacement for a missing @type seems to be "attribute abuse". Either there's a reason why there is no @type (in which case using @n is obviously wrong), or we should introduce it (in which case using @n is unnecessary). Btw: Anyone else who thinks that @n should be xs:string instead of xs:NMTOKEN? Think of <mdiv n="Allegro moderato"/>…

> - I'm not sure what the advantage of nesting <zone> elements is and I'm afraid it may create more problems than it alleviates as users attempt to replicate the visual layout of the page using hierarchically-structured zones (better to leave the zones as a list where the coordinates of any zones may overlap).

You're probably right, although it might be interesting to group zones somehow. Question is if a parent-zone must be a bounding box for all child-zones, or maybe if it even has to have coordinates? But I'm just thinking loud, I'm not yet convinced of anything. Any other arguments, wishes, opinions out there?

Johannes