[MEI-L] [Time uncertainty; WAS] feature request list (long)

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Mon May 17 22:39:21 CEST 2010

Dear All,

I like the idea of having an open-ended "event" category and an
automatically updatable eventlist.

The metadata fields that are desirable change from one
composer/genre/period to another. With our Themefinder project we have
been perpetually surprised by the ongoing need to invent new metadata
fields, especially for dates. Most works do not have sketches. Some are
never printed. Some are printed twenty different times under varying opus
numbers (which were arbitrarily assigned by publishers). [Some prints are
also spurious.] Some works had premieres; others were never performed in
public. Some are posthumous, and no one really knows when they were
written.

At this point, no one can anticipate when or where the need for a new
datable event might occur. [I ignore the problem of old-style and
new-style dates, but we have some simple tools on the web at
http://www.ccarh.org under "Calendar Reconciliation." German locales are
difficult because the year could change every time the religious
persuasion changed.]

Eleanor