[MEI-L] [Time uncertainty; WAS] feature request list (long)

Byrd, Donald A. donbyrd at indiana.edu
Tue May 18 14:05:10 CEST 2010

What you say makes perfect sense to me, Eleanor. Actually, to a
mathematician, probability doesn't exclude certainty! A probability
_density_ function can describe any situation, including very specific
known dates. It can say P(12 Feb. 1744, NS) = 1.0, P(any other date) =
0.0. Or that any date between 14 Jan. 1743 and 26 Dec. 1744 is equally
likely, and no earlier or later date is possible -- or that situation
except that 12 Feb. 1743 and 1 Nov. 1744 are twice as likely as the
other possible dates. Or literally anything else.

There are other limitations of MEI's proposed time representation. For
example, I really don't think "15th cent." means quite the same thing as

  <date notbefore="1400" notafter="1499">12th cent.</date>

If a composer was described as "15th century" and it turned out that
they were born in 1399, would that be a mistake? Surely not. How about
if they were born in 1385, so they might have started composing in the
late 1300's Still probably not.

But I don't think we should try for a perfect representation of time --
and specifically, I don't think MEI should offer probability density
functions.

--DAB