[MEI-L] choice and app

Johannes Kepper kepper at edirom.de
Sun Mar 29 04:09:15 CEST 2009

Hi all,

as I'm currently having some last looks on several issues of MEI for
my thesis, I found that choice and app do not work together well yet.
Some examples:

- app isn't allowed within choice, whereas choice is allowed in app

- choice is only allowed within measures, app is also allowed above
measures. Within choice, measures aren't allowed anymore. So when I
measures in there.

-  in the second of the Paderborn examples (the Weber), there is a
combination of choice and app. Both sources show different slurs,
which is clearly to be encoded by using app. But then there is also
the editors interpretation as sempre legato, which Perry encoded by
using annot and a verbal description. Since then we have choice now,
and in my eyes a <reg> seems to be the best solution here.

One could do
<choice>
	<orig source="s1">…</orig>
	<orig source="s2">…</orig>
	<reg resp="JV">…</reg>
</choice>
but this isn't how it was meant in my eyes.

Currently I have to use
<app>
	<rdg source="s1">
		<choice>
			<orig>…</orig>
			<reg resp="JV">…</reg>
		</choice>
	</rdg>
	<rdg source="s2">
		<choice>
			<orig>…</orig>
			<reg resp="JV">…</reg>
		</choice>
	</rdg>
</app>
which is not too nice either. Although a @corresp on reg might allow
to point from the second reg to the first, this is no real solution,
is it? On the other hand, mixing app and choice to one general element
seems to be at least one step to far, as they deal with different
issues. What do you guys think about this? Is something like the
following a possible solution?

<choice>
	<orig>
		<app>
			<rdg source="s1">…</rdg>
			<rdg source="s2">…</rdg>
		</app>
	</orig>
	<reg resp="JV">…</reg>
</choice>

In this case the reg would be an equivalent to both readings combined,
which is more appropriate to the situation in the example. What do you
think?

Besides, we have to think about app (and also choice) as milestones
(to borrow from TEI), but not tonight…

thanks for reading such bulky mails
Johannes