[MEI-L] choice and app

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Mon Mar 30 23:13:11 CEST 2009

Johannes,

> - app isn't allowed within choice, whereas choice is allowed in app

This is exactly what TEI does.  I think this is the proper way to do it.

> - choice is only allowed within measures, app is also allowed above
> measures. Within choice, measures aren't allowed anymore. So when I
> measures in there.

Again, I think this is proper.  A single source usually doesn't/cannot (?)  have different numbers of measures for a single section of music.  That is, source 1 can only have a certain number of measures in section 1.  Variation in the number of measures (source 1 has 3 measures in section A, source 2 has 4 measures, and so on) is covered by

<app>
  <rdg source="s1">
  </rdg>
  <rdg source="s2">
  </rdg>

A regularization that somehow combines readings 1 and 2 may be encoded as another reading without pointing to a source --
  <rdg resp="JK">...</rdg>

Alternatively, we may add (as TEI does) a <lem> element for capturing the preferred reading.  But I'd have to think about this more.

<choice> (and its kin) are for capturing variation within a single source.  I don't see anything wrong at all with

>   <app>
>     <rdg source="s1">
>       <choice>
>         <orig>…</orig>
>         <reg resp="JV">…</reg>
>       </choice>
>     </rdg>
>     <rdg source="s2">
>       <choice>
>         <orig>…</orig>
>         <reg resp="JV">…</reg>
>       </choice>
>     </rdg>
>   </app>

Mixing app and choice is definitely *NOT* an option.

Your last example

>   <choice>
>     <orig>
>       <app>
>         <rdg source="s1">…</rdg>
>         <rdg source="s2">…</rdg>
>       </app>
>     </orig>
>     <reg resp="JV">…</reg>
>   </choice>

leads to overloading choice (and its buddies) like app is overloaded now.  It's technically possible, but I don't recommend it.

Perhaps I misunderstood something?

Perry Roland
Scholarly Resources
University of Virginia Library