[MEI-L] mdiv and sources

Roland, Perry (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Wed Mar 18 17:12:01 CET 2009

All,

I agree with Raffaele that the source meta-data should be in the header.  The note that Johannes referred to about putting sourcedesc within mdiv was a bad, bad idea. :)

MEI doesn't deal very well with Johannes' main question about how to deal with top-level structural differences between multiple sources.  But, on the other hand, TEI doesn't do this well either.

Possible solutions:

1) Encode the two versions of the same opera as different MEI instances.  This gives you complete control over the structuring of the mdivs; that is, you don't have to worry from the outset about the relationships between the two versions -- you're pushing them off 'til later.  Methods for dealing with them later include using annot, extref, and extptr or even using something like METS to encode the structural relationships.

2) Use an <meicorpus> or <group> element (depending on whether you want a header for each version) to wrap both versions into a single MEI file.  You still have to encode both in their entirety at this time because there's no "copyOf" feature that would allow re-use of a chunk of markup in multiple locations.  However, now that the 2 versions are in the same file, you can mark correspondences between them with @corresp.  We can talk about creating a copyOf feature later.

3) Use the data attribute on source.  This attribute can be used to point to the mdivs that make up the source.  This list of ids here, as Johannes suggests, can be interepreted to be explicit; that is,  if an mdiv's id is here it's a part of this source, if not, then it ain't.  This doesn't help with recording the structure of the component mdivs, only the sequence.  BTW, if someone can suggest a better name than 'data' for this attribute, I'd be grateful.

These are the things that come to mind right away.  Other possible solutions welcomed.

--
perry

Perry Roland
Scholarly Resources