[mei-neumes-ig] @tilt, MEI neumes 0.21

Elsa De Luca elsa at campus.ul.pt
Sun Oct 15 21:50:32 CEST 2017

Comment below

Andrew's Quote:

* This is problematic. If a line is written such that is not aligned
perpendicular to the page edges, or it curves, or the page edges are not
90°) then from what baseline should the directional reference be?**whatever
the ductus/alignment of the notation is,  **always **use **the page
baseline as reference. any straight line, either vertical or horizontal,
would be encoded as n/s or e/w. All the other intermediate degrees of
inclination would be encoded as ne, se, sw, nw (BTW there is a typo in the
module description, below).*

* It is imperative to remember that this will be used to encode the music
notation, not describe the shapes on a page.sure. however, the inclination
of the pen-stroke is a graphical feature used to represent melodic
information **in neumatic notations. in other words, *information on the
melodic contour was conveyed by the scribes according to the directionality
of the pen-stroke on the page. hence, the encoding of neumes cannot avoid
to *take into account how the shapes look like on the page. *

*Of course there were cases where scribes used different degrees of
inclination of the pen-strokes without the intention to convey exact
melodic information but we do not want to decide a priori which scribe was
randomly using the inclination of the pen-stroke. In any case, it is
important to reiterate that the inclination of the pen-stroke represents
relevant musical information which needs to be captured in the encoding.*

*I would strongly suggest this be dropped, and another method of encoding
the same information be developed.*
Sorry, but ​I really like this system. I have attempted to encode some OH
neumes and this system works beautifully. I find it very straightforward,
easy to be applied and, last but not least,  it mirrors the shape of the
neumes on the page with an accurate degree of approximation.

​Of course this is just my personal take, and if someone else has a better
suggestion on how to encode the inclination of the pen-stroke, please do
let us know!

All the best,
​
​

Elsa De Luca <http://cesem.fcsh.unl.pt/en/pessoa/elsa-de-luca/>

CESEM (Centre for the Study of the Sociology and Aesthetic of Music)

Faculdade de Ciências Sociais e Humanas – NOVA FCSH

Av. de Berna, 26 C, 1069-061

Lisbon, Portugal