[mei-neumes-ig] Minutes of Meeting: Tübingen, 19 November

Thomas Weber thomas.weber at notengrafik.com
Wed Nov 23 16:19:06 CET 2016

Many thanks, Andrew!  Just some short corrections:

Am 20.11.2016 um 20:31 schrieb Andrew Hankinson:
>   - Elaine Hild (U. Würtemberg)

That's "Würzburg".

> A discussion of how to treat rubrics was held. Thomas and Elaine presented a case for making a new element, 'rubric', that could be handled as part of the musical structure since it typically contains performance information (similar to textual performance instructions in CMN, i.e., 'andante').

Actually, rubrics are used for a much wider range of things.  To cite the NeumesXML[1] documentation "labels for feast days, offices and masses; types of pieces; verses"

In order to not lose momentum, I'd like to ignite a discussion about how exactly to proceed.  We have two nicely separable fields - one being transforming the neume description approach presented by Inga and Kate into XML, the other being separation of text and music layers.  The incorporation of rubrics should be made part of the latter, I think.  In my understanding, rubrics can be thought of as just other elements that occur in the linear flow of text, as opposed to tempo text, stage directions or the like in CMN, which are on different layers than lyrics.

In NeumesXML[2], <rubric> is used interspersedly with <neumed_syllable>.  It also has a <spoken_text> element (if you click through "/NeumesXML/transcription_part/transcription/spoken_text" on the funky 90ies style website[3]).  Is there any value in distinguishing between "general" rubrics and spoken text, e.g. for liturgic plays?

I'd next want to pick one or two short example chants from the Corpus monodicum data and draft an encoding of the music that would suit our needs, based on how I understood the new encoding might work.  I'd leave the text problem alone for now.  For the very first drafts, I think sharing via e-mail might be preferable over a branch or folder for drafts on our fresh Github[4] repo.

Best
Thomas

[1] http://www.scribeserver.com/NEUMES/neumesxml_tree/tree_detail_west/rubric.htm
[2] http://www.scribeserver.com/NEUMES/xml/transcriptions/NeumesExample.xml