[mei-neumes-ig] Style name

Kate Helsen katehelsen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 18:42:49 CEST 2016

Would this help?
http://individual.utoronto.ca/notaquadrata/lexicon.html

I can get in touch with John Haines about copyright of this, and perhaps
he'd be happy to see it integrated into MEI terminology. (This was part of
my post-doc life in Toronto, five years ago.)

Cheers,
Kate

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 12:13 PM, Debra Lacoste <dlacoste at uwaterloo.ca>
wrote:

> [...]
>> classified, I'm sure there will be duplicates in other notations and
>> someone will take it on one day).
>>

>> If the <styleName> element isn't the right place for a new name to denote
>> a category of shapes that look similar, is there another tag where this
>> could be entered?
>>
>> To be clear, this "scribal" identification I am suggesting is at the
>> level of the notational style overall ... comparable to how we say "square
>> neumes," "Gothic neumes", "German neumes", "Italian neumes", etc. but not
>> tied to a geographical location. (For instance, "square neumes" is already
>> perfect!  It describes what it looks like, and the Franciscan mss from
>> Italy show the same types of neumes and graphical features as mss from
>> France with that notational style.)  I can see such a description being
>> applied at the level of the individual neume within any set of neumes from
>> any place, and then connections across previously distinct notational
>> styles will become more obvious.
>>
>> (and with enough samples the computer could determine whether or not the
>> shape is similar enough and IT can uncover the connections between
>> "Messine", "Klosterneuburg, "south-German" and "St Gall" neumes!)
>>
>> Sorry to be so long in describing this.  It seems like the right time to
>> consider the larger question of notational styles and how we perceive them,
>> esp. since we are looking forward to branching out and working with
>> manuscripts from France (Paris lat 12044 and 15181 -- with very different
>> notations!) and perhaps some from Austria.
>>
>> Debra

>> Debra Lacoste, Ph.D.
>>
>> | Cantus Database | http://cantus.uwaterloo.ca ||
>> | also https://uwaterloo.ca/margot/margot-projects/cantus ||
>> | University of Waterloo, Sessional Instructor ||
>>
>> | dlacoste at uwaterloo.ca |
>> | debra.lacoste at gmail.com |
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 4:55 PM, Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) <
>> pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Andrew,
>>>
>>> The <styleName> element has been present since the earliest versions of
>>> MEI, although v. 2010-05 is when it got a camel-cased name.  It can occur
>>> anywhere transcribed text is allowed.  It's intended to be used to mark a
>>> stylistic term in para-text and metadata.  <styleName> is not a metadata
>>> "field" / container itself and therefore doesn't occur directly within the
>>> header, say in <encodingDesc>, because allowing it there would place it in
>>> competition with <classification>.
>>>
>>> However, 3.0.0 does provide a pair of new attributes on <staffDef> that
>>> can be used to describe the notation on each staff.  The @notationtype may
>>> take the values "cmn", "mensural", "mensural.black", "mensural.white",
>>> "neume", and "tab", while @notationsubtype may take any textual value.  If
>>> a 3-tiered classification is necessary for neume notation (like that
>>> provided for via the "mensural.black" and "mensural.white" values plus

>>> pdr4h (at) virginia (dot) edu