[mei-neumes-ig] Style name

Debra Lacoste dlacoste at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jun 21 18:13:41 CEST 2016

Thanks for your message, Andrew.
I was thinking more along the lines of the broad families, actually.

It's the names that are problematic in my opinion, so I was thinking that
instead of using solely the established names (i.e. "French", "St. Gall",
"Messine", etc.), we could ALSO have a name that describes the look of the
neumes.  (My use of "scribal" wasn't intended to point to small and/or
unique characteristics of a particular hand or style.  Instead, I was
leaning towards a new way to name notational styles that is based on "look"
instead of location.)

I have attached some examples of notations from all over Europe.  They
could be described in these ways: "slanted ductus, narrow nib" (or "slanted
narrow"), "vertical ductus, narrow nib," "small square," etc. (we would
have to make up the names).
I see similarities in the first 4 examples, especially as compared to the
other 3. Yet, they are all named in the literature as distinct notational
styles.

I was thinking that since we are still in the early stages here, we could
have a place-holder for a different way to name the notational styles. It
may or may not be adopted by researchers, but I think it *could* simplify
the discussion surrounding neumes and possibly reduce the number of
different types that are currently being distinguished.

Just a thought!
Debra

Debra Lacoste, Ph.D.

| Cantus Database | http://cantus.uwaterloo.ca ||
| also https://uwaterloo.ca/margot/margot-projects/cantus ||
| University of Waterloo, Sessional Instructor ||

| dlacoste at uwaterloo.ca |
| debra.lacoste at gmail.com |