[mei-neumes-ig] Background

Roland, Perry D. (pdr4h) pdr4h at eservices.virginia.edu
Mon Jun 13 16:40:55 CEST 2016

Hi Kate,

MEI already has a general way of handling the description of scribal hands.  As you observe, there's no compelling reason to put the description on every element / neume.  So, MEI provides the <hand> element, which holds the description, and the @hand attribute, which members of the att.handident class can use to reference the description.  Currently there's no machine-processable way (using a dedicated attribute on <hand>, for instance) to indicate scribal angle.  But that's something that can be considered as part of the neume revision process.