[MEI-L] Tools/libraries to find staves in scanned sheet music

Urs Liska ul at openlilylib.org
Thu Apr 30 10:45:31 CEST 2020

Hi Johannes

Am Donnerstag, den 30.04.2020, 09:57 +0200 schrieb Johannes Kepper:
> Hi Urs,
>
> you could use the Measure Detector (
> https://measure-detector.edirom.de/),

Thank you for this link.

> which automatically generates an MEI file with measure positions. You
> may preview those boxes by clicking on a file name after the file has
> been recognized.

This is obviously a great tool that will help me to (maybe finally)
implement a long-standing wish of mine for pimping up the Frescobaldi
manuscript viewer (
https://github.com/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/issues/923#issuecomment-621697927
).

> However, it doesn't tell you how many staves will need to go in
> there, so this approach needs some more steps in a toolchain before
> you get your results,

I have the impression that the tool is focused on something else, and I
don't know whether  it is worth exploring it in the direction I need
(especially because I'm sure there are other existing tools that *do*
look for the same thing I do).

What I need is the exact position of all the stafflines to overlay
generated stafflines. Eventually you should be able to switch/blend
between empty staves, original score and hopefully a score completed by
the teacher/students.

> but they will depend on your preferred tools and so on. I'm sure
> other approaches are equally possible…

The preferred tools are not the most important part. Having an MEI file
like the one from the measure-detector would surely be a good starting
point for arbitrary tools.

Best
Urs