[MEI-L] music21 and mei help?

Eleanor Selfridge-Field esfield at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 18 05:22:00 CET 2020

Hi, Richard,

This message was in my outbox last week, but owing the abrupt lockdown of the campus last Thursday, it has been a bit chaotic here.

You might want to consider Humdrum via the Humdrum Verovio Viewer.  Although it might take an hour to two to become acquainted with the viewer itself, built-in tools and the allowance of filters in the code (left frame) makes these tasks simple.  HVH imports kern, mei, and several other data formats.

We just looked at preliminary elements of these procedures in our class (now discontinued for the rest of the quarter).  See these links:

http://bit-ly/humdrum-file-format
https://wiki.ccarh.org/wiki/Humdrum_Lab_1
https://www.verovio.org/humdrum.xhtml

End results come out in somewhat the same manner as in the Josquin Research Project (jrp.stanford.edu).

https://josquin.stanford.edu/

If you pick a specific piece (I picked Isaac’s “Alla battaglia”; https://josquin.stanford.edu/work/?id=Isa3002)
and scroll down the left side of the screen, you can select an analytical task and see it implemented in the score.  This is the system of auto-recognized “imitations” in the same score:
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D5F627.D11290F0]

Compiling statistics in Humdrum takes a matter of minutes, at least for those who know three or four Unix commands.  I'm sure an undergrad with CS skills and some score-reading ability could do this.

Life is in total chaos here, but I think that's only because we are bit ahead of the curve.

Au revoir,

Eleanor