[MEI-L] Music Encoding Conference **Important Announcement**

Kijas, Anna E Anna.Kijas at tufts.edu
Thu Mar 12 14:12:20 CET 2020

Dear Colleagues,

We have been monitoring the spread of COVID-19 (Corona Virus) and have decided to make the difficult decision of canceling the Music Encoding Conference scheduled for May 26-29, 2020 at Tufts University. As of last night, the United States issued a travel ban<https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-announces-travel-europe-restricted-amid-coronavirus-threat/story?id=69543646> on some travel from Europe to the United States for the next 30 days due to the COVID-19 (Corona virus). This week Tufts University issued an announcement to its community that all classes will be held remotely, asking all students to return to their homes by March 16 and not return until after the end of the spring semester. The University also identified its own restrictions<https://coronavirus.tufts.edu/3-10-2020-presidents-message/> on travel for employees and students, including cancelling gatherings and events at least through April 30.

The health and safety of our entire community is important and while we have been looking forward to hosting this conference and welcoming so many colleagues and friends to Tufts University we must cancel the in-person conference.

The Organizing, Program Committees, and MEI Board are exploring alternative options for a selection of the planned papers, presentations, workshops and meetings to be offered online and within the next week we will be in touch with everyone who has registered already or planned to attend the conference. We will make another announcement here on MEI-L by then.

Sincerely,
Anna Kijas, Chair, Organizing Committee
Richard Freedman, Chair, Program Committee
Elsa De Luca, Chair, MEI Board

Anna Kijas
Head, Lilly Music Library
Granoff Music Center