[MEI-L] mei-Neumes validation

Gabriel Vigliensoni Gabriel at music.mcgill.ca
Fri May 3 21:33:25 CEST 2019

Dear MEI-L,

We are trying to validate files with square-note notation against mei-Neumes
customization. The validator is parsing all musical elements but is
throwing errors for clef and custos (error: element ... not allowed here).
On the contrary, if we use mei-all the validation passes successfully.

We looked at the mei-Neumes customization file and realized that
model.eventLike is being modified (
https://github.com/music-encoding/music-encoding/blob/develop/customizations/mei-Neumes.xml#L113-L120),
with the result that clef and custos elements have to be within syllable
instead of layer. Is this an unintended error or are there any special
motives for this decision?

Thank you,

Gabriel

PS: Attached to this email there is a basic MEI example with neume notation
that can not be validated.