[MEI-L] Encoding Notre Dame Polyphonic Neumes

Joshua Stutter josh at yokermusic.scot
Sat Mar 16 13:46:11 CET 2019

Dear all,

A week later followup. I've resigned myself to have to customise
MEI-neumes.xml to support this polyphonic neume notation and am trying
to work my way through the sparse documentation. Unfortunately, I've
fallen at the first hurdle.

Attempting to generate the schema without any of my own customisation, I
opened up TEI Roma and uploaded the MEI-neumes.xml customisation direct
from Github (because the "customeization" service appears to have been
broken for over a fortnight now without any sign that it is being
fixed). Roma appears to parse the customization without issue, but fails
when pulling in the SVG elements:

> <error msg="to RNG then Trang to make RNC failed:
> net.sf.saxon.s9api.SaxonApiException: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException;
> systemId:
> http://www.tei-c.org/release/xml/tei/custom/schema/relaxng/svg11.rng;
> lineNumber: 6; columnNumber: 3; The element type "hr" must be
> terminated by the matching end-tag "</hr>"." exclass="class
> java.io.IOException" >java.io.IOException: to RNG then Trang to make
> RNC failed: net.sf.saxon.s9api.SaxonApiException:
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemId:
> http://www.tei-c.org/release/xml/tei/custom/schema/relaxng/svg11.rng;
> lineNumber: 6; columnNumber: 3; The element type "hr" must be
> terminated by the matching end-tag "</hr>".
>     at
> pl.psnc.dl.ege.tei.TEIConverter.convertDocument(TEIConverter.java:306)
>     at pl.psnc.dl.ege.tei.TEIConverter.convert(TEIConverter.java:154)
>     at
> pl.psnc.dl.ege.component.NamedConverter.convert(NamedConverter.java:44)
>     at pl.psnc.dl.ege.ConversionPerformer.run(ConversionPerformer.java:45)
>     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
> </error>
Looking through svg11.rng, there is no mention of <hr>. Am I using Roma
correctly here or is this an upstream issue at TEI? The same issue
occurs on MEI-CMN.xml

Joshua.