[MEI-L] Encoding Notre Dame Polyphonic Neumes

Joshua Stutter josh at yokermusic.scot
Sat Mar 9 15:26:42 CET 2019

Dear all,

Fairly new MEI user, trying to encode some 13th-century Notre Dame
notation into MEI for a class. MEI has good support for many neumes, but
I'm attempting to get them to work in a polyphonic context, align
correctly and with good semantics. Here is a small example which I'm
attempting to encode:

Small Notre Dame example.

Most of the neumes can be notated and typed with the exception of the
complex neume FGBGA which does not have a name. This is fine as this
music does not stick to the usual neume types.

My first issue arises when trying to show the first tenor note D is
aligned with the porrectus GFG. How would I go about achieving this
without using semantically-incorrect spacers or invisible rests or
durations? What I really wish for is the possibility to encode sections
of polyphony in groups that are aligned together, i.e. the first three
neumes in the organal voice in one group, then the porrectus in a new
group with the tenor virga.

The second issue is the vertical lines. They are not barlines, nor
always rests. They are divisiones with a complex and context-sensitive
function. Sometimes they function as rests, sometimes they are alignment
marks, sometimes syllable marks.

The first attached file 'benedicamus-domino.mei' encodes this example
naively. Nothing is aligned and I use <barLine> where divisiones are.

The second attached file 'benedicamus-domino-wish.mei' is how I wish to
encode this file, using a made-up element <alignmentGrp> that can
contain anything a <section> contains. I have also replaced the
<barLine> with another made-up element <divisio>.

Needless to say, I'm not concerned with the output in verovio, as very
little neumatic notation is supported anyway, but instead encoding the
alignment and elements correctly. Is something like this possible in MEI
already or will I have to dabble in ODD? If I must, are there any links
to a good workflow and documentation for using ODD with MEI?

Thanks in advance for responding to this quite complex question,

Joshua Stutter.