[MEI-L] Slurs/ties across repetitions and/or endings

Craig Sapp craigsapp at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 11:07:09 CET 2019

>  If we believe that the slur should always prioritise the visual
> dimension, then any slur over a system break should be treated this way,
> which seems like a recipe for an encoding that is too susceptible minor
> engraving changes.

Touché, but I was not thinking that literally.  I was thinking that there
is a visual tie/slur in a broader sense (and I let Verovio or another
rendering software handle the lower-level visual breaking of that single
slur across systems).

For note durations and pitches, there is already a dual system for
visual/gestural attributes.   For example, here is a note that looks like a
half note but would be rendered in MIDI as a dotted quarter note:
     <note dur="2" dur.ges="4" dots.ges="1">
Here is a more common case where a note looks like it does not have an
accidental alteration visually, but it does (due to the key signature, or a
alteration earlier in the measure):
    <note pname="c" oct="4" accid.ges="s">
Here is a more extreme case for a B-natural note in 18th-century music:
    <note pname=b" oct="4" accid="s" accid.ges="n">

By analogy, a hanging tie could look like this:
     <tie startid="#barline" startid.ges="#note" endid="#othernote>
When rendering to notation the @startid would be used.  When rendering to
performance (MIDI), the @startid.ges would override @startid in a manner
similar to @dur.ges, @dots.ges and @accid.ges.

notes at dots.ges in its current implementation is a fairly recent addition to
MEI, implemented in verovio this past October.  Here is the discussion
(over 8 months) towards implementation of it:
     https://github.com/rism-ch/verovio/issues/757